12 Reasons Why Artists Should Attend The "Performing Artists' Open Conference" This August! Please distribute!
Dear Working Artists and Friends of the Arts,
Join us this August for the first annual "Performing Artists Open Conference," where we skip the pretense of choosing workshops for you and YOU could be one of the chosen speakers- chosen by your peers.
Learn more details about the PAOC at http://www.artistbootcamp.com
Why Should Southwest artists attend?
1. Retreat #1. You need a retreat before the school year starts. Many artists (and those who support and love the arts) have their work deeply connected to the school year. So, before the new year begins in full, come spend a few days learning with your peers, taking some chances learning and presenting. In our open-conference environment, you will be challenged.
2. Retreat #2. Okay, maybe you just finished the killer "library show" season and you need to clear your mind, be with adults and think anew about your art form. You know, a shared meal table is a great place to start conversations that will make you think.
3. Real Conference, Real Close. Many artists and staff (in the West and Southwest) love the fun and professional growth inspired by conferences, but find it hard to find something local that is accessible due to issues with money, location, or relevance. Some other artists, new to being a working artist, are hesitant to spend gobs of travel money just right now. So, before you pay to jet out to across the U.S, no matter your experience, come learn in your own backyard.
4. Networking. We are not just inviting folks connected to one type of performing arts, but rather all performing arts. Sit next to someone who does something you do not do. Explain what you do. Learn what they do. Create a collaboration and invite us all to it if you want. Alternatively, just talk about life. Do you know every artist in the state yet?
5. Staycation. If you are in the Southwest, we are next door! Why not stay over Friday night and/or Saturday at the huge discount room rate of $79 per night? You don't have to share a room to get that rate- that is single occupancy! You can GET AWAY to focus on your art without having to do all that getting-away work. You do not have to stay at the conference hotel, but why not make it a gift for yourself?
6. New Ideas. We are asking YOU and others to bring their best presentation, discussion, performance, round table ideas. What do you want to talk about? Not ready to lead a workshop? Then- propose it anyway as a discussion group and get everyone's creative juices flowing. Come on- do not fear! DO something with your great idea. A conference like this typically lets you be affirmed in some areas and challenged in other subjects. By the way, you are not required to submit a workshop or discussion idea. Just come and participate if you want.
7. Tax-deductible? In most cases, continuing education for working artists is tax deductible. Check with your tax pro because we are not tax pros.
8. Early Bird for Everyone. Look, we want you to be there. We need at least 10 people at the early bird rate of $209 to pay for this event. Register by August 1 for this rate. You get two lunches, registration and other surprises for this fee.
9. Pay Less. Okay, you have read this far, huh? Great! Email Sean Buvala (the host and director) at sean (at) toryteller.net and put:
Secret Western StayCation Rate
…in the subject line. You will get an even lower rate and the instructions on how to claim it. Act now.
10. Pad Your Resume. At the moment, we are going to be a smaller and more intimate group. Small group= more chances to get your proposal fit in. Your proposal accepted= you can add the "PAOC Presenter" to your growing resume.
11. Honest Feedback. A conference like this has no stars, only friends and peers. Come offer your best work and ideas. Get honest feedback to your presentation by others who know the same challenges of presenting for and with artists. No need to pretend to know it all, just share what you know. Or, just absorb it all.
12. Experienced Staff. Yes, we know, this is about you, but we have been putting on events like this and others for decades. Despite the fluid nature of the event, we are totally prepared to be sure you do not have to worry about facilities or other nonsense. We've also chosen a place where good places to eat dinner (across the budget spectrum) are within walking distance for you and your old and new friends that you met back in #4: Networking.
We are not spending a zillion dollars of your money on PR. We are being light hearted and casual in this note, but we want you to come spend some time with this exciting new conference. You can reap the rewards for taking a new path at the PAOC this August 21-23, 2009.
Details:::> So- Artists and Friends of the Arts, please learn more at www.artistbootcamp.com .
See you in August,
For The PAOC staff.
Use Twitter hashtag #paoc09
The official blog for K. Sean Buvala, storyteller and storytelling coach.